Sunday 24 July 2011

The Herring on the Nile



A few weeks ago (this post should have been written ages ago) I went down to Goldsboro Books to Len Tyler's book launch for his latest 'Herring' novel: The Herring on the Nile.

Just in case anyone had missed the geographical reference Len himself was wearing a very dashing red fez. In the photo he's sadly NOT wearing the fez, and neither is our editor, Will Atkins (right). But they both still look very dashing.

I think 'Nile' is the best herring book to date: funny and as elegantly constructed as a good gin and tonic drunk at sundown on a Nile paddle steamer. I had several laugh-aloud moments on the train journey back to Didcot. I think that says it all, really.

Goldsboro Books in its expanded premises was looking wonderful. Definitely a place to visit if you're looking for a really special literary present for a signed first-edition book lover.

1 comment:

Len Tyler said...

Hi Eliza, it was great to see you at the launch - and many thanks for posting this. I'm glad you chose the photo without the bright red fez - purchased in the souk at Aswan the year before last, by the way - though I see I am still wearing the matching bow tie. ("You mean you travelled here on the tube in that?" as our daughter later observed.) Thanks for the kind comments about Herring on the Nile. I echo what you say about Goldsboro Books - well worth a visit.